What is Youth Mental Health First Aid?
Youth Mental Health First Aid teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. This 8-hour training gives adults who work with youth the skills they need to reach out and provide initial support to adolescents (ages 12-18) who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem and help connect them to the appropriate care.
WHAT IT COVERS
Common signs and symptoms of mental illnesses in this age group including:
- Eating disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Common signs and symptoms of substance abuse
How to interact with an adolescent in crisis
How to connect with the adolescent with help
WHO SHOULD TAKE IT?
- School staff
- Camp/youth organization counselors and leaders
- Youth group leaders
- People who work with youth
The course will teach you how to apply the ALGEE action plan:
- Assess for risk of suicide or harm
- Listen non-judgmentally
- Give reassurance and information
- Encourage appropriate professional help
- Encourage self-help and other support strategies